Wednesday 10 October 2012

Flash Fiction Friday, Cycle 99

This week's brief can be found here.


THE END

They have made me wait so long for my moment. No matter, I am centre stage now. I will make the most of being in the spotlight at last.

---

From a Staff Reporter

October 10, 2012
Huntsville, Texas

A Texas man convicted of eleven murders, all characterised by sadistic cannibalism, was put to death Wednesday. Yet another prisoner to be executed in America's most active capital punishment state, Tyrone Gardener is said to have modelled himself on fictional serial killer Hannibal Lecter.

As usual, the prison at Huntsville was the scene of protests by anti-death penalty activists in the run up to the 6.00pm execution time. A number of family members of the victims were permitted into the Death House within the so called 'Walls Unit' to witness Gardener being put to death by a single injection of pentobarbital.

Asked by the warden if he wanted to make a statement, Gardener said, "I do not believe in a heaven or a hell. My self-awareness is about to cease but the families of those I have touched will continue to be tortured by memories of the suffering I inflicted. I offer them no comfort about how their delicious loved ones died or false sentiments of regret. I welcome the dark nothingness to come. I am ready."

---

I wake.

The smell of brimstone overpowers. Heat sears my eyes. I cannot close them.

The pain in my stretched eyelids is overwhelming. I have no limbs, no body. I am just a head. It is suspended above a roiling cauldron. The relentless burning melts flesh that is replaced and melts again, over and over in endless agony.

Where is the oblivion I craved before my execution?







8 comments:

  1. Not so much an end as a beginning :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. No pun intended, but Oh Hell! This was awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Takes your breath away, this does. No remorse, and yet he expects the mercy of a dark void. As has been said by those wiser than I, you get what you give. Still, this is scary as all get-out and the end's going to stay with me awhile. Awesome is right!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the end doesn't stay with you in a wake-up-screaming nightmare sort of way!

      Delete
  4. That was a good one man. One of the scariest things I've read in a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See the reply to Joyce. Reading scary stuff was always a thrill as a kid and I don't think you lose that pleasure as an adult.

      Delete